Osteoporosis

There are often many questions about Yin Yoga and specific spinal conditions. Feel free to ask your question here, or check out other posts or contribute input from your own experience.
Lanierc

Osteoporosis

Post by Lanierc »

I just read an article that indicated that static poses with spinal flexion are not suitable for those with osteoponea or osteoporosis. What is your experience and or knowledge concerning this?[/list]
Bernie

Yin yoga and osteoporosis?

Post by Bernie »

It would be nice and much easier if for all the tough questions in life there were black and white answers. Unfortunately, life isn't so cut and dried. Should people with osteopenia or osteoporosis avoid yoga? Yin yoga? Any form of exercise? If we wanted to be cautious, we could say - anyone with osteopenia or osteoporosis should avoid yoga, but unfortunately, such a dogmatic assertion may make people far worse. It could make people fragile.

I have written in the past about how some yoga teachers, out of the best intentions, actually do a grave disservice to their students by making the practice too easy. They are fragilizing students. [Read my article on Antifragility to understand this important concept.]

Having said the above, this topic has been raised in the past, so rather than repeat my thoughts here, I will refer you to several other threads:
Lanierc

Thanks

Post by Lanierc »

Very helpful information, as usual. Thank you so muc.