Snail Pose

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Roberta

Snail Pose

Post by Roberta »

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum but I have been visiting this wonderful website quite regularly. I am IN LOVE with yin yoga.
I was wondering if anyone can help me with this question.
I am hyper-flexible so when I do the snail pose I put both my knees, together, on the floor behind my head. It doesn't hurt me at all, actually it's very pleasurable. I also move my arms over my head and place my hands under my feet.
Is this a correct way to do this pose? Or I am doing something that might damage my neck in the long run?
Thank you, looking forward to hearing from you!
Roberta
:D
Bernie

Super Snails

Post by Bernie »

Hi Roberta

So you are cursed by being flexible: don't worry - in your next life you will come back as a "normal" person. But, for now - if you can do it, do it! The idea in Yin Yoga (or any asana) is to get to where you feel a stress. If that means you have to have your knees on the floor over your head, and reach your hands up under your feet - so be it. The only caution comes, like with all poses, when or rather if you start to experience any pain. Remember pain can be tingling sensations too.

Notice how you feel not just during the pose but in the day or two afterwards. If you start to notice numbness or tingling, then indeed you might be overly stressing your neck or spine. You can do too much of Yin Yoga just like you can do too much of anything. Don't love this one pose to death but don't be afraid of it either. If you feel any pain, tingling or light-headedness, back off, but otherwise, enjoy it.

Cheers
Bernie
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Hi Bernie,

Thank you for your quick reply! I don't feel any pain during or after the pose so I guess that it's ok for me to do it this way!

PS - I recently finished reading your book "the complete guide to yin yoga", and I have enjoyed it very much, thanks!

Roberta.