Yin Yoga in winter or colder months

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
yoganova1

Yin Yoga in winter or colder months

Post by yoganova1 »

Someone told me that Yin Yoga shouldn't be practiced in the winter. Doesn't make sense to me - what say you? Thank you!
Bernie

When to yin

Post by Bernie »

It all depends upon your intentions. Winter is a yin-time of year, so if your intention is to balance your energy, then a yang practice may be perfect for you. However, if your intention is to exercise and keep healthy all your tissues, yin and yang will be necessary. If your intention is to find some peace and stillness over the hectic holiday season, yin may be your best bet.

Even though winter is yin, this does not mean one can not or should not practice yin yoga; that would be like saying because it is summer, hot and sunny, one should not go outside and play sports, go for a run, a swim or do yang yoga. Consider your intention, pay attention, and enjoy!

You may also want to read this section of YinSights where this questions is discussed.

Cheers
Bernie
Kristin

Post by Kristin »

There's nothing I love more than a deep yin practice on a cold winter day! My students seem to love it too - I've noticed my yin classes are much more well-attended during the winter months.

One question though, regarding this topic. I usually introduce a slow, however more yang-like warm-up during the winter since I live in Northern Sweden, especially when it's REALLY cold out (say, colder than -15C). I generally feel that it's necessary to some degree, and I believe there was mention in YinSights (though I don't have the book in front of me right now). What would you recommend, Bernie? On -30C days, I often teach a round of slow sun salutations (3 or 4 max), as well as a few more yang-like warm-up poses, depending on the later yin focus.

(by the way, I took a number of your classes back when I lived in Vancouver 3 years ago. Thanks for inspiring me to eventually start teaching.)
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Hi Kristin,

Wow that's cold!

I'd better stop complaining about the -2/-3 degrees celsius that we have here in the UK!!

Roberta
@marzipanj

Post by @marzipanj »

I agree that some yang can be useful in winter--I live in northern Maine, where it is regularly down to 0F and below--our first -20F day forecast for this week. But at the same time, I carry so much of that cold in my shoulders, as much as I try not to, and I find that the only way to alleviate that tension is by long, slow yin holds. I suppose, like everything else, it's a balance, although I do find myself wishing for a good hot yoga studio up here. Some days I do yoga by the wood stove.