Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yin Yoga in winter or colder months

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> General Yin Yoga Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoganova1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Yin Yoga in winter or colder months Reply with quote

Someone told me that Yin Yoga shouldn't be practiced in the winter. Doesn't make sense to me - what say you? Thank you!
Bernie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: When to yin Reply with quote

It all depends upon your intentions. Winter is a yin-time of year, so if your intention is to balance your energy, then a yang practice may be perfect for you. However, if your intention is to exercise and keep healthy all your tissues, yin and yang will be necessary. If your intention is to find some peace and stillness over the hectic holiday season, yin may be your best bet.

Even though winter is yin, this does not mean one can not or should not practice yin yoga; that would be like saying because it is summer, hot and sunny, one should not go outside and play sports, go for a run, a swim or do yang yoga. Consider your intention, pay attention, and enjoy!

You may also want to read this section of YinSights where this questions is discussed.

Cheers
Bernie
Kristin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing I love more than a deep yin practice on a cold winter day! My students seem to love it too - I've noticed my yin classes are much more well-attended during the winter months.

One question though, regarding this topic. I usually introduce a slow, however more yang-like warm-up during the winter since I live in Northern Sweden, especially when it's REALLY cold out (say, colder than -15C). I generally feel that it's necessary to some degree, and I believe there was mention in YinSights (though I don't have the book in front of me right now). What would you recommend, Bernie? On -30C days, I often teach a round of slow sun salutations (3 or 4 max), as well as a few more yang-like warm-up poses, depending on the later yin focus.

(by the way, I took a number of your classes back when I lived in Vancouver 3 years ago. Thanks for inspiring me to eventually start teaching.)
Roberta

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kristin,

Wow that's cold!

I'd better stop complaining about the -2/-3 degrees celsius that we have here in the UK!!

Roberta
@marzipanj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that some yang can be useful in winter--I live in northern Maine, where it is regularly down to 0F and below--our first -20F day forecast for this week. But at the same time, I carry so much of that cold in my shoulders, as much as I try not to, and I find that the only way to alleviate that tension is by long, slow yin holds. I suppose, like everything else, it's a balance, although I do find myself wishing for a good hot yoga studio up here. Some days I do yoga by the wood stove.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> General Yin Yoga Topics All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: