calfs/feet

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
kathyv

calfs/feet

Post by kathyv »

hello

i'm fairly new to yin yoga and absolutely love it. i find that i tend to get cramps in my calfs and more often in my feet. i'm not sure what i should do when the cramps happen. also is it an indication of anything? are there certain poses that would help with tight calfs? thanks much
Bernie

cramps

Post by Bernie »

Welcome to the yin-side!

Cramping is not all that unusual: it does happen to many students and the feet and calves do seem to be the most common places. There is still some mystery about why we cramp up, mostly because it can have many different causes. We can cramp if we are dehydrated, lacking essential electrolytes or the muscle is tired. A generalizing is also that we cramp when we have a lack of blood flow to the tissues.

Do any of these causes seem likely for you? You may want to drink before your practice, take an essential electrolyte pill or drink (thing Gatorade). You can also massage these areas to help the blood flow, or do some warm up exercises there. If the room is too hot, you may want to cool it down, or if it is too cold, warm it up or wear socks.

Regarding stretching the calves: try the Overstepping Dragon pose or the more yang-like Down Dog.

Let us know how it goes.
Cheers
Bernie
kathyv

Post by kathyv »

thanks for the response. i don't think it's dehydration. i like the idea of warming up the areas first.

i'll try the poses you suggested.
kathyv

Post by kathyv »

i forgot to ask, if my foot cramps up, should i just breathe through it or should i try and get it to stop. they can be painful
Bernie

Cramping during yoga

Post by Bernie »

No need to just "suffer" through it ... if it happens, take a time out and massage the foot or walk on it. Try to get the blood flowing back into it. Generally you will start to be aware of a "pre-cramp" position where you know if you stay any longer or push a little harder you will get a cramp. If you approach this position, back off a little.
kathyv

Post by kathyv »

excellent. i took a yin yoga class (first one) and she said to breathe through it. i much prefer your way of backing off until the the 'precramp' disappears. i tried the exercise you mentioned and i think that'll be a great one for the calf. thanks much