Yin Yoga and Cancer

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Bernie

Yin Yoga and Cancer

Post by Bernie »

I recently received this email: Hi Bernie - My name is TW. My daughter brought me to your class last week. I benefited so much and really enjoyed the yin yoga and your sharing. My lower back was strained before I started and much better the next day. My question is for my husband: he has a rare genetic cancer (MEN 1). It is now metastasized in his liver and lung and last month a tumor was successfully removed from his brain. The medical profession hold little hope for him but we hold every hope and possibility for him. I am wondering if there are any yin yoga poses that would be ok for him. I am expecting that restorative yoga is ok for him especially now. Any wisdom you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. TW

Hi TW - I am sorry to hear about your husband's cancer coming back. This is a stressful time for all of you. One of the big benefits of yoga is helping us deal with stress, whatever its cause. As you know, I am not a doctor, so I can't offer you any medical advice for your husband, but I can make a few suggestions that you could check out. I am posting this in the forum in hopes that other yoga teachers and students who have gone through something similar may also contribute to the discussion.

First of all, you may want to visit The Healing And Cancer Foundation and check out the services and courses they offer, which include yoga. Their healing and yoga program has had success in reducing stress, decreasing fatigue, and improving overall quality of life. I can't say if they have actually cured cancer such as the type your husband has but you can check with them. They also offer a free e-book called The Healing Circle you may want to read.

Closer to home, here in Vancouver, there is Inspire Health, which has a very similar mission but not quite as yoga focused, although they do offer yoga classes at their center. The co-founder of Inspire Health, Dr. Hal Gunn, is a long-time yoga practitioner and Yin Yoga lover. Here is what they are about:

"Inspire Health is a world leader in cancer care. Inspire Health focuses on our patients’ health using an integrative approach that combines nutrition, exercise, emotional and spiritual support with standard cancer treatments. Inspire Health’s programs are evidence-based, we apply leading-edge immune system research to optimize cancer healing and recovery."

Now, to try to answer your basic question: yes - yoga can certainly help you and your husband. As mentioned, just dealing with stress is a big challenge and yoga and meditation can assist there. Both Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga allow ample time to sink into a deeper meditative awareness of the body, breath and mind. Yoga encourages us to really listen to our bodies.

However, I would not advise your husband to start with Yin Yoga if he has never done any yoga before. You can read a comment at the bottom of this post from a Yin Yoga teacher and cancer survivor. Restorative Yoga or Yoga Therapy with an experienced teacher would be great for him. Private classes, if he can afford them, would be best to start. (Here in Vancouver I would recommend you talk to Maggie Reagh to see if she has time to meet with you.) Most cancer patients are weakened by their treatments and would not be able to tolerate a regular Hatha or Yin Yoga class, but the gentler forms of yoga can help them relax and renew. As mentioned, simple breathwork (called pranayama) and meditation can work wonders. While I can't promise yoga will cure your husband, cancer survival rates are increasing and we really never know what might happen.

Good luck!