Ideas for twists - anyone?

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
heidrunjacobi

Ideas for twists - anyone?

Post by heidrunjacobi »

I find myself doing more or less the same supine twist in each class. Does anyone have any ideas for something a little bit different? I know Bernie had posted something a while back where the foot of the leg that crosses over rests against the wall - you just need lots of wall space for this so it doesn't work in a larger class. Thanks!
Bernie

The yinside of twists

Post by Bernie »

I often end classes with supine twists but occasionally I substitute the reclining Windshield Wipers. This applies a slight twist and backbend to the spine and a nice internal rotation and adduction to the legs/hips. If your goal is to just have more twists but not always reclining, you can add twists to almost all the sitting poses: do a twist in Shoelace or Straddle. These would be a bit more muscular, so maybe only hold for 1/2 the time you are in the pose. You could do the twists several times though: in Shoelace and in Straddle or Half Butterfly.

For the Reclining Twists: are you doing the many variations of these? Remember you can do different versions of the Reclining Twist, such as Twisted Roots, one leg straight out to the side, Cat's Tail, etc.

Cheers
Bernie
heidrunjacobi

Post by heidrunjacobi »

Thank you, Bernie! I should consider doing more seated twists, you're right! I took a gentle yoga class today and the teacher showed us a wonderful reclined twist that I am going to steal from her. Thought I'd share: Lying relatively close up against the wall, legs up with bent knees and soles of the feet on the wall. Lifting hips a bit, moving them over to the left and dropping them down again, then toe-heeling/walking feet towards the right and down, stopping once the outer edge of the right foot touches the ground. Arms stretched out. Maybe guiding the top leg closer towards the bottom leg if the knees are apart. Can ondulate the left side of chest towards the mat for a great twist after body is opening up. Repeat on other side. Felt absolutely great!