Sequencing for my situation

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
SamCO

Sequencing for my situation

Post by SamCO »

Hi-
I came upon this site quite by accident. What a beautifully organized, edited and informative website.
I started yin yoga practice about 3 months ago. A friend loaned me Mithoefer's book and I just started practicing. After reading more at this website I need some help with sequencing and putting together what would be optimal for me.
I got ill with "fatigue" many years ago and that all led to panic attacks, digestive issues, etc. I got limited help(which was quite expensive) from seeing people so over time I learned a lot on my own starting with qigong and energy healing, the meridians, chakras and emotional healing through meditation, breath work, etc. Much of what was wrong has been healed and I am committed to completing this journey. Yoga felt like the next logical step based on what I have left to do. So, of course now money is limited.
I have constriction in the hips/groin/pelvic area that causes abdomen to push outward. (Perhaps psoas and transverse abdominus related). The trick as I have learned is that if the adrenals really get stimulated the belly contents will push up. Not fun. I think some adrenal stimulation is unavoidable but I need help putting together a program that will will allow pelvic area to open so that the abdominal contents can settle into place.
I have seen progress in a short time but perhaps mitigated by improper sequence of practice.
Thank You
Sam
SamCO

Post by SamCO »

Hi Again-
I hadn't seen the sequencing suggestions when I wrote the above. I could try the hip sequence, some are unfamiliar. And I am so tight I can't even do Shoelace and that is a drag. A bit scary...you should see how I look no wander the abdomen is so tight. Probably started in early life post adoption.But I will do it slowly and retrain the hips...I have a lot of fear in that area.
Still appreciate any thoughts
Sam
Bernie

Opening the Hips

Post by Bernie »

Hi Sam

Welcome to the yin-side! There are ways to stimulate the adrenals that shouldn't result in your "belly contents getting pushed up": for example, stimulating the Kidney meridians will refresh and rejuvenate the adrenal glands, and you can do this with a gentle Sphinx pose. Check out the flow for the Kidneys and do the poses that are accessible for you.

You mention that your main focus are your hips, and the flow here may be a great start for you, but do read up the descriptions of the poses as well, so you will be aware of the modifications and options: for example, if full Shoelace is not accessible, try half Shoelace. Swan, Winged Dragon, Square pose and Happy Baby may work better than Shoelace, so experiment and take it slow. We don't get stiff overnight, and we won't reopen our tight areas quickly.

One suggestion that really does help open us up safely is to get off the chairs we all live in and live on the floor. Instead of watching TV, or reading or talking on the phone while sitting or slouching on our couch, sit on the floor. Feel free to switch your position as often as you like, but stay on the floor for as long as you can. It won't take too long before you will notice that your hips are more open and your back muscles stronger.

Finally, I know you implied that money is limited but finding an experienced yoga teacher could be really beneficial. Explain to her before class your situation and take note of her recommendations.

Good luck with the journey!
Bernie