Stomach and Spleen/ Heart and Small Intestine Meridians

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
talleresdeyoga-om

Stomach and Spleen/ Heart and Small Intestine Meridians

Post by talleresdeyoga-om »

Hi Bernie

My name is María Eugenia, I´m a yoga teacher, from Buenos Aires, Argentina. A few months ago I begin to teach yin yoga to my studens.

I want to ask you about two sequences of Yin Yoga I prepared, for Stomach/spleen and Heart/Small Intestine, I want to know if are ok (I apreciate your suggestion).

Yin Yoga, Stomach and Spleen Meridians 1 hour 15 mins class

Meditation - 5 mins
Butterfly - 4 mins
Deer - right 4 mins left 4 mins
Dragon - right 4 mins left 4 mins
Child pose - 1 mins
Swan right leg - 4 mins
Sleeping swan right leg - 4 mins
Swan right left - 4 mins
Sleeping swan left leg - 4 mins
child pose - 1 mins
Toe squat - 1 mins
Ankle strech - 1 mins
Camel - 1 mins
Child pose - 1 mins
Cat pulling its tail (up) right 4 mins left 4 mins
knees to chest - 1 mins
Lying twist- 4 mins
Savasana - 15 mins

Yin Yoga, Heart and Small Intestine Meridians 1 hour class

Meditation - 5 mins
Half Butterfly right leg- 4 mins left leg 4 mins
Geiza pose (vajrasana) 3 mins
Frog - 4 mins
Anahatasana 3 mins
Child pose - 1 mins
Seal - 4 mins
child pose - 1 mins
Camel - 1 mins
Child pose - 1 mins
Lying twist right- 4 mins left 4 mins
Bananasana right - 3 mins left 3 mins
Savasana - 15 mins

This is the blog of yin yoga in spanish, I'm translating diferent text to help the yin yoga teachers in SouthAmerica http://talleresdeyin-yoga.blogspot.com/

Thanks for all, Bernie

Namasté

María Eugenia
Bernie

Comments on your proposed flows

Post by Bernie »

Hi María

Certainly your flows work to stimulate the meridian lines you are targeting. I would suggest you allow some time between the poses as well - right now you show how long you hold each pose for but the total time doesn't seem to include the time it takes to get into and out of the poses and any small rests between them. If you need to cut down your flow, I would eliminate poses rather than shorten how long you hold each pose; fewer for longer is the yin way. (Camel pose for example is held for such a short time because it is one of the most yang-like of the yin poses; feel free to drop that one.) I note that you don't have Swan on the left side (just Sleeping Swan.)

For the Stomach and Spleen, you are targeting the thighs, which is great. You could also try to get some stretching into the belly and chest areas. Seal pose works there for some people. Another nice way to work the Stomach and Spleen line is the Saddle pose, but not everyone feels this in the thighs and belly areas.

For the Heart meridians, anything that stresses the shoulders should work, so Frog and Anahatasana are good choices. Raising one arm overhead while in reclining twists also works, as long as there is no tingling in the hands when the arms are in that position.

You may be able to get by with a shorter Shavasana, but that is a personal choice of the teacher. Generally I target about 10% of the total class time for Shavasana.

Cheers
Bernie
talleresdeyoga-om

Re: Comments on your proposed flows

Post by talleresdeyoga-om »

Hi Bernie

Thanks for your comments.
I had a mistake when I type the sequence in the foro, in the original flow I do Swan on the left side (just Sleeping Swan) javascript:emoticon(':)')
I'll consider your suggestions for stretching the abdomen and chest (seal pose, saddle pose) in the stomach and spleen meridians. And the rest betwen poses.

Thanks for all

María Eugenia