Pranayama wihout a guru?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Shikibu

Pranayama wihout a guru?

Post by Shikibu »

Hi, Bernie

In Yinsights you have a very prominent warning about pranayama practice without the aid of a guide, teacher, or guru. Yet, in the My Yoga Online website, there are some pranayama practices that can be easily done without a teacher. At what point do you decide that it is safe to do pranayama without a guide? If a teacher is always needed, does a student know if the teacher is any good?
Who are you without you?
-Martin Buber
Bernie

The cautions about Pranayama

Post by Bernie »

I have not viewed the videos about pranayama in MyYogaOnline, so I can not comment on how "safe" these practices are. I can reiterate my general concern, however: pranayama can be dangerous for some people.

The dangers of pranayama practice have been known for a very long time. It is known that some pranayama practices will make a person more what she already is: this can be great or very bad. If someone is calm, pranayama make help him or her become totally serene and present. If someone is slightly neurotic, pranayama can make him or her totally psychotic. As a teacher, do you know how mentally and/or spiritually stable every one of your students is? If not, I would highly recommend not teaching energetic pranayama to a large class. If you are leading a retreat where you get to know each student well, then you can tailor a practice that will be safe and valuable for everyone.

As a student, you are ultimately responsible for what you do. When performing pranayama, be vigilant for any feelings that are not "right". If you feel dizzy, lightheaded, anxious, nervous, tingly ... or anything that just isn't comfortable, you need to stop. Also, be vigilant after the practice too: if unwanted and negative emotions start to arise, it may have been due to your pranayama practice. A good teacher would know how to modify the practice for you: perhaps she would recommend an easier version, or a deeper engagement of your bandhas, or a more grounded posture.

A teacher may not always be needed if your pranayama practice is gentle. Simple and soft ujjayi breathing ("ocean breath") is safe, as are short rounds of Nadi Shodana. But be cautious of very energetic practices like breath of fire (Bhastrika) or Kapalabhati. Don't try to retain the breath very long (kumbhaka) until you are experienced in grounding and releasing energy. If you don't know what that means, then do find a teacher.

How to know if your teacher is any good? Talk to her. Ask her about her philosophy. If she feels there is never any problems with breath work, I would be concerned. If you work with her and start to feel any of the above unwelcomed feelings, then again talk to her. If she has no idea what to do, find another teacher.

I hope this helps!
Shikibu

Post by Shikibu »

Thanks very much for your detailed response. This is very helpful guidance. Yours is not the only warning I've seen about pranayama (Iyengar's Light on Yoga reiterates many a pranayama warning, and some My Yoga Online videos are prefaced with a cautionary warning), so I have always been cautious. I had no idea how powerful pranayama is though. That it can make a slightly neurotic person psychotic is certainly something to sit up and take notice of.

Emotionally, I'm highly sensitive. Not all the time, but when conditions are right (overworked, stressed), I become emotionally fragile. I tend to put the suffering of other people and animals on my own shoulders and can react in ways that would seem exaggerated to outsiders. Even to myself! I haven't done intense pranayama, but the little I've done (ujjayi, alternate nostril breathing, and mild Kapalabhati) has had no ill effects that I recall. But your advice will keep me very mindful and attentive to how my mind and body react.

I'll stick with the gentle, safe, very occasional pranayama for now, but really focusing on asanas, breathing, and learning meditation. I'm sure time will show me when and if I need to practice pranayama with regularity. For now, it seems all I need to learn is how to rest... I noticed during your Yin-Yang fusion class that I don't allow myself to rest - really. I convince myself I don't need rest. Interesting to see the same pattern in my daily life. Just not allowing myself rest...

Thanks for all you do for us.

Namaste.
Who are you without you?
-Martin Buber