30 minute sequence?

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
rexall

30 minute sequence?

Post by rexall »

Tue 5 Oct 2010, 12:05 pm

Hi Bernie, all,

I have been practicing the sequence from Bernie's video for the past year. I really enjoy yin yoga and this sequence, but I only manage it once a week, and sometimes I have to push myself to do that because it is quite time consuming; about 1 hour, 15 minutes not counting sitting before and Savasana at the end. My regular, home yang practice is about half that, but always includes a long butterfly near the end. Here is the sequence I do, each pose 4 minutes, with short yang poses in between as appropriate:

Butterfly
Straddle; left, right, forward
Sphinx
Seal
Evil dragon ;o}
Lying twist; left, right

Any ideas for a useful sequence that is about 30 minutes long?

Thanks any suggestions.

Namaste,

Rex
Khon Kaen, Thailand
Bernie

Short flows

Post by Bernie »

Hi Rex

The flow you describe looks pretty good. If it works for you, keep at it. You may want to add another short (30 min) flow targeting the hips more; add Shoelace in place of the Straddle or use Swan. Or, make sure you do the Winged Dragon in your current flow.

MyYogaOnline will be coming out with some shorter sequences, which we filmed recently. Hopefully these will be out on their web site by the end of the year. In the meantime, here are some sources for other flows you may want to check out.

http://www.yinyoga.com/ys2_2.2.6.0_yinyoga_flows.php
http://www.yinyoga.com/forums/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Cheers
Bernie
rexall

Thanks for the reply

Post by rexall »

Thu 7 Oct 2010, 6:50 pm

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for the reply and the links. I'll look forward to the downloads with the shorter sequences you mention. Just for the record, perhaps I was writing too hurriedly, the sequence I presented is the sequence from your video download. It takes me a little more time than following along with the video; about 1 hr. 15 minutes, not including sitting in the beginning and savasana at the end.

Aloha,

Rex
Khon Kaen, Thailand
Bernie

A brilliant Yin Yoga sequence

Post by Bernie »

Ah ... then it is a brilliant sequence, obviously!
Jessica Powers

My Happy Body Short Sequence

Post by Jessica Powers »

Here is the 30 minute quick fix I often find useful to practice:

Sukhasana Forward Fold 5 minutes each side
Sphinx 5 minutes
Eka Pada Rajakapotasana/Swan, upright or sleeping depends on the day and my body 5 minutes each side
Supta Baddha Konasana/Reclining Cobbler 5 minutes

If there is time, I do a Savasana or Viparita Karani for 10 minutes at the end. But I never do any flow or transitioning poses between - I just ease up and slowly find the next pose. My yang practice tends to be totally separate from my yin, just as a matter of time available and preference.

Enjoy!
Lorien

Post by Lorien »

I teach a weekly 60-minute yin class for a corporate client, so I've gotten pretty good at managing the time. the trick is to limit the number of asymmetrical poses. Here's an idea for you:

Butterfly 5min
Frog 4min, narrow-knees child's pose as rest 1min
Sphinx/Seal/Saddle (depending on how you feel that day) 4-5min
Prone rest 1min, child's pose rest 1min
Swan 5min -OR- Swan 3min, Square 2min (bring back leg forward)
Hammock rest 1min between sides, after
Reclined twists 1min each side
Savasana or meditation

I find that if I rest between poses, I don't need as long in savasana and I can drop into meditation "stillness" much faster.

When I design shorter sequences, I look for poses that give the most bang for my buck, so to speak: frog, saddle, swan. I arrange the other poses around these so that my body feels properly introduced and supported et voila! a sequence is born. If I have a longer time period, I will incorporate some side bending, because I do believe a healthy spine needs to move in all directions (forward, back, side, twist).

Happy sequencing!
Callie

Shoulder Mala

Post by Callie »

Hi Bernie.

I have recently started teaching Yin Yoga after being inspired by your website. I read your post re the Shoulder Mala, and after trying to understand your instructions I became a bit confused! Do you have a video of this available?

Peace
Callie
Bernie

Yin Yoga for shoulders

Post by Bernie »

Hi Callie

The only video I have on shoulder work during Yin Yoga classes is on My Yoga Online: you can view it here. Other than that there is only my newlsetter articles which are available here. I am surprised that the photos in these articles don't help but if not, try the video.

Hope it helps.
Cheers
Bernie
Shantaram

Post by Shantaram »

I know this is an old thread, but I want to add a good source of short yin yoga sequences, that just has to be in here.

Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga DVD has five different short flows on the second disc. About 20 to 30 minutes long each. They are intended to be mixed together to get (nearly) a full hour in one session, but I use them as a standalone routine twice a day, one for the morning and one for the evening.
YuangYoga

Post by YuangYoga »

Thank you all for the wonderful questions and answers. I feel like I've alrady learned so much in the short time I've been here.
You are what you eat!