Micro tears?

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
Cinza

Micro tears?

Post by Cinza »

I do the Yin practice, I have read your book and done the training with the Grilleys.

I want to answer a question that has come up with good information.

A friend healing from surgery of the Achilles wants to study Yin... she says her Rolfer (and Anusara teacher) told her not to do Yin Yoga because the long holds cause mirco tearing of the ligaments...

All I can say is very subjective:

"In my experience the practice been healing and corrective..."

Is there information more concrete I can share?
I know .. there will always be some people under some circumstances who will find something doesnt help them... it happens in any practice.

but generally? What would you say?

Cinza
Bernie

The Achilles Tendon

Post by Bernie »

Hi Cinza ... thanks for posting your question in the forum. It does make it easy to answer!

The best person your friend should ask about how to rehab her Achilles tendon would be her surgeon or doctor. The surgeon will know just how extensive the damage was and how much she can tolerate while healing. The advice from her Rolfer and Anusara teacher is very general and may not be the best advice for her particular situation.

In general, ALL exercise is a form of stress. When we get a good workout for our muscles, we are actually creating microscopic damage to them, which the body repairs and makes stronger. The body knows how to deal with micro-trauma; without physical stress on a regular basis the body atrophies. So, the fact that Yin Yoga (or any yoga) can create micro-trauma is actually good. The problem arises when we do not rest the exercised areas enough to allow them to heal, or we over-stress the areas and go beyond micro-trauma to major traumas.

Your friend's Achilles tendon is healing, so even micro-trauma right now may not be a good idea ... however! It may be that some yin-like stress to this region is exactly what is needed! When we stress the tissues in a yin-like way we are actually stimulating the cells that help rebuild tissue. Cells like fibroblasts, osteoblasts and chondrocytes become more active when they are subjected to stress. There used to be a theory that bed rest was the best medicine for everybody after an injury. Now we know that that is the worst thing we can do. We need to mobilize injured areas to bring the flow of nutrients to the damaged area, and we need some stress to activate the repair mechanisms.

My experience mirrors the Grilleys; Yin Yoga can help tissues heal, but it has to be done wisely, and after checking with the doctor/surgeon. She is not trying to gain added range of motion right now, but rather she wants to thicken and strength the Achilles. Poses like the Overstepping Dragon may help; if she has enough flexibility, she can work up to Squat. I am sure you can guide her into other poses that will gently target this area. Just start slowly - remember the Goldilock's position! (See Newsletter #1) http://www.yinyoga.com/Newsletter_volume1.php One to two minute holds at the beginning may be enough.

Cheers
Bernie
Last edited by Bernie on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cinza

Post by Cinza »

Thank you, i will give my friend the information..

and of course its information to share with anyone who is concerned....
Cinza

Post by Cinza »

Resting.

What are your general recommendations/ guidelines for recovery for Yin practitioners?
Bernie

Recovery time between Yin Yoga workouts

Post by Bernie »