Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

This discussion group is for questions about Yin Yoga and other body parts, such as shoulders, feet, wrists, etc.... Also, this is the place to discuss various conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
julfunke

Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

Post by julfunke »

I have a client that asked me if she would benefit from Yin Yoga. Here is a brief definition of the disorder:
Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) (also known as "Cutis hyperelastica"[1]) is a group of inherited connective tissue disorders, caused by a defect in the synthesis of collagen (a protein in connective tissue). The collagen in connective tissue helps tissues to resist deformation (decreases its elasticity). In the skin, muscles, ligaments, blood vessels, and visceral organs collagen plays a very significant role and with increased elasticity, secondary to abnormal collagen, pathology results. Depending on the individual mutation, the severity of the syndrome can vary from mild to life-threatening. There is no cure, and treatment is supportive, including close monitoring of the digestive, excretory and particularly the cardiovascular systems. Corrective surgery may help with some of the problems that may develop in certain types of EDS, although the condition means that extra caution is advised and special practices observed
Bernie

Can Yin Yoga help with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome

Post by Bernie »

Hmmm...tough question. I am not familiar with this condition, and from your description, this pathology is inherent in the collagen production directly. I don't know if Yin Yoga will help ameliorate the symptoms (as you say, there is no "cure") but the best way to find out is to try it.

I would suggest that your client check in with her primary health care provider to see if she/he thinks there would be any harm in trying Yin Yoga, and then go slowly and see if over time she feels better. As we know, the body needs stress in order to stimulate healing, but too much stress can be a problem. Starting slowly (ie: not really long holds: maybe just 1 ~ 2 minutes) should provide your client a chance to gage whether she feels better or not after the classes. Since she is suffering from many digestive ailments, perhaps beginning with a focus on forward folding may be helpful.

Of course, there are many other benefits to yoga beyond the physical. I suspect your client will benefit in ways beyond the tissues: mental calmness and alertness, better sleep, less reactive emotionally to other dramas in her life, etc.

Let us know how it goes.
Cheers
Bernie