Frequency of Practice and Recovery Time

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Bill Bane

Frequency of Practice and Recovery Time

Post by Bill Bane »

Hello. I've been practicing Yin Yoga for a few months now, and love your book.

I wonder what the recommended practice frequency is. The connective tissues are stressed and presumably require some time to recuperate, just as the muscles need time off after, say, weight-lifting.

Put another way, is there a recommended maximum number of hours of practice per week? That way, more frequent but shorter sessions might be just as good as fewer, longer ones.

Thanks for offering this forum.
Bernie

Recovery time between Yin Yoga workouts

Post by Bernie »

Hi Bill

Glad to hear that you are enjoying Yin Yoga.

Your question of "how often" is a good one: it has been discussed before in the forum. There is a more complete answer at this post: http://www.yinyoga.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=410. You may want to read it and check out some of the research cited there.

In short: it is generally safe to do Yin Yoga daily, but, as always, it depends on the student. Nothing is okay for everybody. You have to listen your body between classes and make sure you feel it is okay to keep going at the current pace.

The idea that more frequent but shorter sessions might be as good or even better than longer, fewer ones rings true to me. I do Yin Yoga every day but not always in a formal "yoga practice". Sitting on the floor as you read, or watch tv or talk on the phone is yin. You can read quite well while in Swan. You can eat meals while sitting in Half Butterfly at your coffee table. You can watch t.v. while in Sphinx. All this is yin, without the formality of a yoga class. I haven't found too much problem from daily living on the floor.

Of course sitting in a chair for 8 hours a day is also yin: you can do too much yin! Studies have shown that how we sit is not the real problem, it is how long we sit in any one position. If we sit slouched for 20 minutes or more at a time, several times a day, the lower back is going to suffer. If we sit ramrod straight for hours at a time too, the back will suffer. The key is variety: to move. Sit one way for 5 minutes or so, then change to another way for 5 minutes or so, then switch again.

Let me know if this doesn't address your question.
Cheers
Bernie
Bill Bane

Post by Bill Bane »

Hi Bernie.

Thanks for the advice - as usual there is no substitute for listening to one's body for signs of over-training.

I like your ideas of postural variety and using the floor more in daily life as an opportunity for informal yoga! (My cats are also finding it interesting that I am spending so much time down there with them.)

Thanks again.