Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frequency of Practice and Recovery Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Bane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Frequency of Practice and Recovery Time Reply with quote

Hello. I've been practicing Yin Yoga for a few months now, and love your book.

I wonder what the recommended practice frequency is. The connective tissues are stressed and presumably require some time to recuperate, just as the muscles need time off after, say, weight-lifting.

Put another way, is there a recommended maximum number of hours of practice per week? That way, more frequent but shorter sessions might be just as good as fewer, longer ones.

Thanks for offering this forum.
Bernie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Recovery time between Yin Yoga workouts Reply with quote

Hi Bill

Glad to hear that you are enjoying Yin Yoga.

Your question of "how often" is a good one: it has been discussed before in the forum. There is a more complete answer at this post: http://www.yinyoga.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=410. You may want to read it and check out some of the research cited there.

In short: it is generally safe to do Yin Yoga daily, but, as always, it depends on the student. Nothing is okay for everybody. You have to listen your body between classes and make sure you feel it is okay to keep going at the current pace.

The idea that more frequent but shorter sessions might be as good or even better than longer, fewer ones rings true to me. I do Yin Yoga every day but not always in a formal "yoga practice". Sitting on the floor as you read, or watch tv or talk on the phone is yin. You can read quite well while in Swan. You can eat meals while sitting in Half Butterfly at your coffee table. You can watch t.v. while in Sphinx. All this is yin, without the formality of a yoga class. I haven't found too much problem from daily living on the floor.

Of course sitting in a chair for 8 hours a day is also yin: you can do too much yin! Studies have shown that how we sit is not the real problem, it is how long we sit in any one position. If we sit slouched for 20 minutes or more at a time, several times a day, the lower back is going to suffer. If we sit ramrod straight for hours at a time too, the back will suffer. The key is variety: to move. Sit one way for 5 minutes or so, then change to another way for 5 minutes or so, then switch again.

Let me know if this doesn't address your question.
Cheers
Bernie
Bill Bane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernie.

Thanks for the advice - as usual there is no substitute for listening to one's body for signs of over-training.

I like your ideas of postural variety and using the floor more in daily life as an opportunity for informal yoga! (My cats are also finding it interesting that I am spending so much time down there with them.)

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: