The 5 Tibetens

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Scorpian

The 5 Tibetens

Post by Scorpian »

Hello, I have been doing Yin Yoga from a Jennifer Kries DVD for a few months now. I really enjoy it so I brought another one of her DVDs. This one features something called the 5 tibetens? I have done some research and they seem quite intrigueing.

However like another user called Checkerboard said in another thread I too have no desire to open up my Chakras. I just like the stretching, toning and relaxation Yinyoga gives me.

My question is does performing the 5 Tibetens on a regular basis open up the chakras or does it just stimulate them? I have heard that you can only open up chakras in meditation so is it safe for to do the 5 Tibetens?

Thank you for any replys on this matter!
Bernie

The 5 Tibetans

Post by Bernie »

This practice has been around since the 1930s, when a retired British Army officer brought it to the attention of the West. There are a few variations but mostly the various versions differ in the breathwork suggested. You can check out Christopher Kilham's book "The Five Tibetans", or read the original book by Peter Kelder called "Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth." There are also many YouTube videos you can check out.

Your question is about opening your chakras: will this exercise open you up? Well, in short, yes. However, please remember that the chakra model of our energy anatomy is just a model. All yoga works the energy body. In fact, all exercises work the energy body. (Can you imagine any exercise that doesn't require energy?) The body, the mind, the energetic body - all of these are stimulated and strengthened whenever we do yoga.

The question is really the intention and the degree. The 5 Tibetan are an effective but not dangerous practice. Since you are only taking ~12 minutes to do these 5 exercises, there is very little risk of over-energizing your chakras or over-stimulating the energy body. I too practice these, and compared to more vigorous pranayama practice, the 5 Tibetans are quite mild.

My opinion: you can safely practice the 5 Tibetans without worrying about an inadvertent chakra opening.

Cheers
Bernie