Entering the poses . . .

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
FHThomas

Entering the poses . . .

Post by FHThomas »

As a yang yoga teacher, coming into and coming out of poses has always been very important to me. But, as I am working with the Yin asanas, I often wonder how to come into them. I've ordered Sarah Powers' DVD (Insight Yoga), and I suspect she will give guidance on this. Meanwhile, is there another place where I can find how to 'configure' each pose? Thanks.
Bernie

How to get into Yin Yoga poses

Post by Bernie »

This is a common question. I admit that, when writing my book, I didn't really think about describing how to come into the poses. It just didn't occur to me. Generally, since we can take our time in Yin Yoga, the exact way to get into a posture didn't seem so important. But many people have wondered if there are better or worse ways to get into them. I will think about adding that in my "next edition" :)

In the meantime, I can think of 3 sources for folks who do want some advice on how to come into the poses.

1) Check out this article by Paul Grilley: http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/579
2) Check out Biff's book The Yin Yoga Kit
3) Share your own ideas here on the forum! Maybe together, over time, we can create our own fun and creative ways into (and out of) the poses.

In the meantime, if you have a question about a particular pose, I would be happy to talk you through/in/out of it.

Cheers
Bernie
FHThomas

Re: How to get into Yin Yoga poses

Post by FHThomas »

Bernie wrote:This is a common question. I admit that, when writing my book, I didn't really think about describing how to come into the poses. It just didn't occur to me. Generally, since we can take our time in Yin Yoga, the exact way to get into a posture didn't seem so important. But many people have wondered if there are better or worse ways to get into them. I will think about adding that in my "next edition" :)

In the meantime, I can think of 3 sources for folks who do want some advice on how to come into the poses.

1) Check out this article by Paul Grilley: http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/579
2) Check out Biff's book The Yin Yoga Kit
3) Share your own ideas here on the forum! Maybe together, over time, we can create our own fun and creative ways into (and out of) the poses.

In the meantime, if you have a question about a particular pose, I would be happy to talk you through/in/out of it.

Cheers
Bernie
Bernie: thank you. I am coming to love this practice, and it's only been a few days with it. I came to it as a result of an injury (brought on, I think, by trying to take up running again after 5 years away from it . . . I'm 65). One of my favorite teachers--at West Hartford Yoga, a very good studio in the Ana Forrest style--when I described my injury, suggested I look into Yin for its focus on connective tissue. Of course, I'm discovering so much more about it to like. I will pursue the first two suggestions about sources, and will be happy to contribute anything I figure out that seems to work for me. Thanks for sharing your light.