Timing the Yin Poses - which timer to use?

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Bernie

Timing the Yin Poses - which timer to use?

Post by Bernie »

Here is another question I often get: "Can you recommend a stop watch or timer that is good to use when doing a self-guided yin practice? I have Bernie's book, but don't want to have to watch the clock. I was thinking of an hourglass sand-type time, and they have them on amazon.com, but just thought I'd ask. Thank you!"

-----------------------------------------------------

Good question. I have seen several different approaches to this. One student used a colour sand-filled egg timer that had three little hourglass tubes; one for 3, one for 4 and one for 5 minutes. The drawback was ... you have to look to see when your time is up. I personally use my Timex Ironman digital watch's countdown timer. One lady found a lovely egg-shaped egg time that not only made a noise, flashed lights, but it also vibrated.

There are several styles of meditation timers that could also be used. A google search will reveal a gaggle of them. I use a nice computer timer from the Washington Mindfulness Community www.mindfulnessdc.org/mindfulclock.html ... you can set the time, or have it be random even (not recommended for yin poses, but great for just bringing you back to the moment during the day.)

There may be other ideas out there too...thus this post. Do others have more thoughts.

cheers
Bernie
viapage

timer recommendations

Post by viapage »

i have tried several timers and the easiest to use is the Triple Tell Timer by Shake Awake. It costs about $15.00 and is available on the Internet.
Via Page
Registered Yoga Teacher
Certified Yin Yoga Teacher
Torrance, CA USA
www.viayoga.us
via_page@yahoo.com
310 483 5154
Bernie

Times

Post by Bernie »

I have seen several teachers now using the Polder timers...they blink, they buzz and they move...or all three. You can learn more at this Amazon link...

http://www.amazon.com/Polder-Digital-Vi ... B0002EXVIM

* Digital kitchen timer
* Has vibration, sound, and light alarms; can work together or independently
* Can be set for up to 19 hours and 59 minutes; times hours and minutes or minutes and seconds
* Made of plastic; wipe clean with cloth; comes with 2 AAA batteries
* Measures 3 by 2 by 1-1/4 inches; covered by 1-year warranty

Amazon doesn't seem to sell them anymore but I am sure you can find them somewhere on the web...
Jessica Powers

Timers

Post by Jessica Powers »

For my self-guided practice, or those with friends, I use my cell phone. It has a nice, long, pleasant alarm tone and a five minute snooze. As I nearly always have it on me I am more likely to practice while I travel and since it goes off every morning I use at least one snooze for a 5 minute mini metta meditation and another another for either a reclining butterfly, childs pose, or saddle, depending on how I slept the night before. Alarm goes off - I do Yoga. For self practice encouragement I haven't found anything that works half as well!
Renee

Post by Renee »

Well, a little bit late reaction... when you have the time when doing your yin-practice, try using no stopwatch and just feel.
If I have the time I like needing no time.
Enjoy!
Greetz,
Renée
LolaR

Post by LolaR »

I agree that waiting until you feel done is best, but when you need or want to time the poses, I use the apps available for my Android phone (or iPhone). Search "meditation timer" in your equivalent app store and there are many lovely options.
dbw

timer

Post by dbw »

I use an app on my phone which is large so im able to see without my glasses on
DBW