Dorsi Flexion pose

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Zeynep

Dorsi Flexion pose

Post by Zeynep »

In order to put a deeper stretch on the calf and help the ankle in dorsi flexion, I was inspired by The Foot Collective to use one of their exercises as a Yin Pose. It is a deeper stretch on the calf than any other pose.

How can I paste a photo of it?
Bernie

A yin pose to stretch the calf muscles

Post by Bernie »

Zeynep

Post by Zeynep »

Thanks for posting pic, Bernie.

Whats different here is that you can really put your body weight on the front leg, without taking the heal off the ground and it puts pressure on the calf and achilles tendon.

There is no distraction or complication added with trying to manage the other leg. Apparently dorsi flexion is important in walking, so your foot can go all the way back while walking (combined with the extension of the same lef femur). Most people are always wearing some sort of heal so the calf never fully stretches.

I love this pose! I named it 'Dorsi'.
Gina

Dorsi Flexion

Post by Gina »

What would be some modifications for this pose?
Zeynep

Post by Zeynep »

Hi Gina!
Reaching forward with the arms, holding a weight, holding something, reaching different directions to put pressure in a myriad of ways onto the calf and ankle are the possibilities I can imagine.
patti_krogman

Re: Dorsi Flexion pose

Post by patti_krogman »

Is there any way this picture could be re-posted? Also, question about Yin before running: What poses are recommended pre-run? Thanks! Love this forum!
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

It seems the earlier picture of "the Dorsi" is not loading so, trying again. Here it is, courtesy of Zeynep Aksoy.
Bernie

Yin Yoga before Running?

Post by Bernie »

Hello Patti

This is a good question and the answer is yes, no and maybe! It depends! I have addressed this question in other places so perhaps I can just give you the links here for you to read over.

Cheers
Bernie

Yin Yoga and Running
Addressing the concern that athletes should not do Yin Yoga
Yin Yoga for Professional Athletes
More Yin Yoga and Running
Poses for Runners
patti_krogman

Post by patti_krogman »

Thanks Bernie for the Picture and the links!!!