yin for adolescents?

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
kathy witkowsky

yin for adolescents?

Post by kathy witkowsky »

Does anyone here have experience teaching yin to adolescents? I have been sharing the practice with students at an alternative high school here with good results: The kids, many of whom suffer from ADHD and/or social anxiety, find it calming, and it seems like the discipline required to remain still and just notice the sensations in their bodies would also be good for them. But I would love to hear about other people's experiences/insights. I'm especially curious to hear if anyone thinks it's a bad idea for teens or younger people to stress their connective tissues due to a danger in over-stretching. Most of my students are very flexible but also overweight and out of shape. I teach twice a week and have been trying to alternate the yin practice with a more strength-focused yang practice. Thanks for sharing!
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Kathy

I don't think we can make any generalizations. Everybody is different and so is every child. There has been many threads on this topic on the Forum which you may want to read over:

Yin Yoga For A Growing Teen?
Yin yoga and teenage gymnasts
Children's age and yin yoga
Yin and Teenaged or Young Adult Athletes

As to Yin Yoga being an “advanced, practice, that was not my article, nor my view. I believe Yin Yoga can be excellent for beginners, which I talk about in this article and in this thread.

If, after reading all this you still have questions, please get back to me.

Cheers
Bernie