Lotus pose for meditation, poses for hours of sitting

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
YogiBalance

Lotus pose for meditation, poses for hours of sitting

Post by YogiBalance »

1. I started doing modified lotus pose in my case (the whole feet sides are on the ground) for meditation before shavasana in my yin practice. Should the pelvic floor and lower abs be engaged and ujjayi breathing be used when meditating in lotus pose before shavasana like they do in ashtanga even though its a yin practice?
2. Should the pelvic floor and lower abs be engaged and ujjayi breathing be used for best meditation state outside yin practice?
Other question
3. which poses should be included in the yin practice for confronting hours of sitting on a chair everyday (mostly due to working in front of a computer)?

Thanks in advance.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

You raised several questions, so I will give my thoughts on them in order:

1) Sitting in Lotus in Yin Yoga before Shavasana.

There is certainly nothing wrong with Lotus pose per se, but it is not part of the normal Yin Yoga lexicon of postures. One reason for that is, most people can't do Lotus--it is what I have termed a "high-risk/low-reward pose". (See my article Lotus Pose: Destroyer of Disease, or Destroyer of Knees?.) If you have the hips for the pose and there is no discomfort in sitting in Lotus, go ahead! But, for most students, there is more danger in trying to achieve this pose than simply sitting cross-legged.

If you do decide to sit in Lotus during your Yin Yoga practice, there is no need to engage pelvic floor muscles, no need for bandhas or special pranayama. Yin is passive, allowing, yielding...don't try to do anything muscularly, but rather allow the postures to do the work.

2) Should the pelvic floor/lower abdomen be engaged while meditating?

It depends upon the style of meditation you are performing. In any of the Buddhist styles I have been taught, there has never been any direction to engage any muscles: just sit tall, solid, and relaxed--as long as relaxing doesn't lead to slumping. In several yogic styles of meditation, there can be some rigidity in the body and specific breathing patterns advised. These directions should come from your teacher, however, who will have specific reasons for requesting these states.

3) How to counteract hours of sitting?

I have talked about the dangers of sitting in this short preview video Death by Desk. Perhaps I can ask you to watch it, rather than repeat it all here. But, in general, when the body is held in one posture for a long time, we need to move it in other directions. If you are hunched forward all day, do backbends. For example, Sphinx or Seal Pose, or Saddle Pose with the arms overhead may work really well for you. Twists can also be great.

Cheers!
Bernie
YogiBalance

Post by YogiBalance »

3) Inb my practice i usually start with mostly forward bends in the first half of the practice and leave most of the back bends to the second half and do reclining twist before shavasana. Would it be ok to start with back bends?
Bernie

Starting with extensions

Post by Bernie »

It is certainly okay to start your flow with backbends. This can be very good after a long day of working at a desk where the spine was flexed for hour after hour. Try it and see how it goes for you!

Cheers
Bernie
YogiBalance

Post by YogiBalance »

Great. will do. :)

What kind of yoga mat would you recommend for yin practice? i got a yoga mat i bought for ashtanga practice i used to do in the past. Would a more cushioned mat be more suitable for yin? Sometimes i feel that my knees and feet need a little bit more cautioning.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

In Yin Yoga we don't do standing postures, so a mat is not really required. You can do it on anything! Softer flooring is nice, however. Hardwood or concrete, not so nice. A rug can work.

Cheers!