Yin Yoga Sequence with No/Minimal Props

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
toaster

Yin Yoga Sequence with No/Minimal Props

Post by toaster »

I teach a weekly noontime yoga class at the college where I work; it's a beginning-level class open to both staff and students. I have taught a bit of yin (as a sub) at the yoga studio where I teach weekly, but at the college, the only props we have are blocks and straps. I would love to work in some yin, even if only for part of the practice (it's a 1-hour class).

Any suggestions? What's doable for beginners/minimal props? Thanks!
YogiBethC on FB, IG, and YouTube
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

One place to get some ideas is this article and the video on using props in yin yoga. You will discover that you have more props than you think you have! Mats can be used as props (roll 2 of them up together and you have a nice bolster.) Another idea is to ask your students to bring a blanket or thick towel: these can folded and rolled into all sorts of useful shapes.

Cheers
Bernie
toaster

Post by toaster »

Thanks Bernie; I will review the prop article. We do have extra mats, but it would be hard to plan whether we'd have enough to use as props, as I don't know who will show up week to week. It's a drop-in class, so I'm not necessarily seeing all the same students every week.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

If you are teaching a Yin Yoga class, students don't need mats, so have them use their own mats as a prop. Even in yang classes, the reliance on mats is new and not necessary all the time. If you are sitting on the floor, you don't need a mat: use it as a prop. If you are doing a standing pose, maybe then you need the mat, but not always. Even trying to stay balanced in a standing pose without a mat can be instructive and healthy. Why not experiment and try a whole class without mats! (Of course it does depend on the nature of the floor underneath.)
toaster

Post by toaster »

I like the idea of doing a matless class! Definitely cool to get students to think outside the box, so to speak. Although we are in a public gathering room, it is carpeted, so this would be doable. :)