60 to 90 min General sequence?

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
phipho

60 to 90 min General sequence?

Post by phipho »

Hi
My Name is Philip.

I am new to Yin Yoga but I like it very much.

I have seen Paul's video on Yin yoga and I liked it very much.

Also I have Bernie Clarck's Yin yoga and for a week am practicing the Beginners sequence.

I like this sequence because it covers the whole body.

But is there any chance to make it a little longer? For example with a little more hip openers and something for the shoulders? And if it is possible which poses are good to be included and where would be their right place?

Also is it good to add the Yang poses from Paul's video and if yes where?

If no which Yang ago should be better?

And also I if practice Astanga yoga, what will be the best schedule for Yin yoga and Astanga yoga?

Thank you very much
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Philip

Welcome to the Yin-side!

You are free to extend the beginner’s sequence by holding the postures longer, as long as that feel appropriate. If you want to work other areas of the body, there are other flows in my book, the Complete Guide to Yin Yoga, that can give you that. Check out the flow for the hips and even the flow for the upper body. There is a whole section on upper body yin in the book.

Yang poses can be added but only as a short counterpose. Which yang posture depends upon what pose you just did. Generally we either try to relax the whole body, or make gentle movements in the opposite direction of the previous pose: for example – if you did Butterfly, which is a flexion of the hips and spine, you could do a gentle backbend (extension) of the spine via Table top.

To add Yin Yoga to your Ashtanga practice, you could do Yin Yoga one day, then Ashtanga the next day. If you have time to do both, if you are doing your yoga early in the day, start with Yin Yoga and then do the Ashtanga. If you are doing it at night, start with Ashtanga and calm yourself down with the Yin practice.

Good luck!
Bernie
phipho

Post by phipho »

Dear Bernie,

Thank you very much for the answer!
I find it most helping.

Would you be so ind to tell me if it is OK to do Yin yoga every day?

And if yes, than what is your opinion if I do Yin for hips one day and yin for the back the other day?

Best regards

Phill
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Yes - you can do yin yoga every day. Check out this post for a fuller discussion on this topic. If you do Yin Yoga every day, mix it up a bit: hips one day, spine the next...

Cheers
Bernie
phipho

Post by phipho »

Hi Bernie,

I am just curious, but is it possible to do a couple of 1 hour and 90 min sequences with pictures of the poses shown in them? It would be really a tremendous help

Thanks a lot in advance.

Phill
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Is it possible? Yes ... it is possible. Is it likely - not soon, unfortunately I am swamped right now. But what you are asking for is very simple and something you can do yourself by cutting and pasting pictures from the Asana page. Cheers!