Dragon Bent Knee

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
jesskelly5

Dragon Bent Knee

Post by jesskelly5 »

Are there any contraindications to bringing the foot towards the glutes in the dragons, as is commonly done in yang style practices?

I have experimented with this and I find that it deepens the stress to the front of the thigh, however I want to make sure that it is doing more help than harm since these are yin tissues and could possibly respond differently.

Thanks.
Bernie

Positioning the front foot in Dragon

Post by Bernie »

The only contraindication is pain. If there is any pain when you bring the front foot backwards, do not do it. Other than that, there is no fear in this variation. i call it the "overstepping dragon" in my book: it is a nice way to deepen the stretch on the calf muscles and Achilles tendon. Of course, increasing the flexion of the knee does stretch the quads more too, which is probably why you are feeling this more intensely on the top of the thigh. That can be nice as well. Again, no pain. If no pain, then marinate and enjoy!

Cheers
Bernie
jesskelly5

Misunderstanding

Post by jesskelly5 »

Thanks for the speedy reply!

However, I think my question was misunderstood.
I meant bringing the back foot in towards the buttocks.

Thanks,
Jessica
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Just watch for pain in the kneecap of the back knee. Options can include cushions/blankets under the knee, or have that leg further back. The stress on the quad for that variation can be lovely.