Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragon Bent Knee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesskelly5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Dragon Bent Knee Reply with quote

Are there any contraindications to bringing the foot towards the glutes in the dragons, as is commonly done in yang style practices?

I have experimented with this and I find that it deepens the stress to the front of the thigh, however I want to make sure that it is doing more help than harm since these are yin tissues and could possibly respond differently.

Thanks.
Bernie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Positioning the front foot in Dragon Reply with quote

The only contraindication is pain. If there is any pain when you bring the front foot backwards, do not do it. Other than that, there is no fear in this variation. i call it the "overstepping dragon" in my book: it is a nice way to deepen the stretch on the calf muscles and Achilles tendon. Of course, increasing the flexion of the knee does stretch the quads more too, which is probably why you are feeling this more intensely on the top of the thigh. That can be nice as well. Again, no pain. If no pain, then marinate and enjoy!

Cheers
Bernie
jesskelly5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Misunderstanding Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy reply!

However, I think my question was misunderstood.
I meant bringing the back foot in towards the buttocks.

Thanks,
Jessica
Bernie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watch for pain in the kneecap of the back knee. Options can include cushions/blankets under the knee, or have that leg further back. The stress on the quad for that variation can be lovely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga Postures, Practice & Sequences All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: