Hyperextension

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
a1kershaw

Hyperextension

Post by a1kershaw »

I have a question about hyperextension. I'm doing my 500 hour at the moment (sucker for punishment) and we had a discussion about hyperextension. Generally, it is thought to be something that we want to correct but I remember having some dialogue about it in our Yin training in Feb. Several people with hyperextension were adamant that when they do not move beyond the normal ROM they feel as though they aren't getting deeply into the stretch and Bernie was saying that as every body is different then perhaps that is right for them. (At least that is how I remember the conversation) So my question is whether that might apply to a Yang practice as well and whether we are talking about both elbows and knees - as hyperextension in the knees throws the alignment of the joint out quite significantly. If anyone has a clearer memory of this conversation, I'd appreciate it and Bernie, if you read these posts, I would love it if you could weigh in so that I'm really clear on your take on this. Thanks all!
Bernie

Hyperextension

Post by Bernie »

I did write a Newsletter article on this topic a while back, which you may want to read. Basically, my response is - every body is different. Yes, for some people hyperextension is not a great idea, they could go past the point of stability and cause structural damage. However, this does not apply to every body, and there are many students who can and should be allowed to hyperextend, in order to explore their full range of motion.

Dogma can be dangerous. Each student is unique and what is the appropriate range of movement needs to be likewise examined uniquely. While general guidelines can be helpful, don't let these guidelines become dogma.

Cheers
Bernie
Last edited by Bernie on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
a1kershaw

hyperextension

Post by a1kershaw »

Thanks for your reply Bernie. I read the article with interest. I think the concern was really more about knees than elbows. The photo I saw of the hyperextended knee put the bones in such misalignment and such strain on the ligaments that it's hard to imagine that in time it wouldn't cause significant problems. While it's true that dancers and body builders may use hyperextension both practically and aesthetically, they are doing that while they are young and the toll these physical activities take on their bodies as they age is pretty well known. After all, many of them end up in Yoga classes trying to reverse some of the damage. I also wonder where Mr. Iyengar stood on hyperextension as he aged. That is a very early photo. He certainly seemed to change his view about shoulder stand and the Iyengar school began to teach with a pretty elaborate set up of props for Sarvangasana. My Iyengar teacher was pretty adamant about correcting hyperextension. While I agree that we shouldn't be dogmatic, I do feel we have a responsibility to keep our students safe as much as we can, even if it means we have to err on the side of caution. I don't think we need to carry a whip but it's worth pointing things out and suggesting modifications the student might want to try. Anyway, I think it's an interesting and important discussion, particularly around the knee joint which is so vital to a healthy and sustained practice.
Bernie

Beware of fragilizing your students.

Post by Bernie »

For some people the extent of the hyperextension of the knee is problematic and can cause damage. For other people the degree of their hyperextension of the knee is mild and will never become a problem. In fact, virtually all humans hyperextend the knee while standing relaxed. The average amount of hyperextension can vary greatly but one study showed 99% of women hyperextend, with the average being 6.7° (sd of 2.7° and range from 0 − 17°), while 95% of men hyperextend, with their average being 5.5° (sd of 2.5° and range from 0 − 17.5°.)* So, hyperextension by itself is not a problem, we all do it. Can it be too much? Yes, but this doesn’t mean that all hyperextension is bad. Each student needs to be judged on his or her individual situation.

Regarding your point about Mr Iyengar and how his body may have changed over the years: you may be right. This book was first published in the 1960s when Mr Iyengar was in his 40’s (not so young!) but the book has been republished many times. The latest version was republished in 1995 and it remains the #1 selling book on Yoga on Amazon. By then, My Iyengar would have been in his 70’s. If he believed later in his life that the hyperextension he showed in his book to be dangerous, why did he continue to allow the book to be republished? He created many other books over that time, so it was not that he was uninterested in writing books and sharing his opinions and experiences.

You said that we have a responsibility to keep our students as safe as possible. I would agree. But you also said that we should do so “even if it means we have to err on the side of caution.” With that I don’t agree because that belief may actually harm the student, negating your first and most important responsibility. See my article on Antifragility - in our attempts to avoid over-stressing our joints, we may end up under-stressing them and causing more harm through atrophy and fragilizing the joint. This is an important discussion, and it does point how challenging it is to be a good yoga teacher. It would be nice if there was one prescription we could offer to every student, but each student is unique and we need to figure out what works for each one. Better yet - we need to help the students figure out what works for her.

Cheers
Bernie

* See Normative data for range of motion and single-leg hop in high school athletes by De Carlo MS, Sell KE. in J Sport Rehab. 1997;6:246–55.
a1kershaw

Hyperextension

Post by a1kershaw »

Bernie, I have to say how much I appreciate the thought, time and care that you take to answer any of our questions so thoroughly. It really is so great to have you as a constant resource even after we have taken our training. As an instructor, I feel that I am on this huge quest, faced with mountains of information, theories and teachings which I am constantly sifting through as I search for my truth and the ability to always do the best for my students. It is extremely helpful to access the knowledge of my Teacher Trainers so easily. Profound thanks to you for being there for all of us.