Twist in Half Saddle

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
skyrzyk

Twist in Half Saddle

Post by skyrzyk »

I taught my first public yin class last night, and I included Saddle as part of my flow. I gave Half Saddle as an option and some of my students chose it. I chose to have them twist to one side and then the next, instead of lying on their backs. For my students in Half Saddle, should I have them twist over to the side of their straight leg or the leg that is bent behind them? Or perhaps should I just let them choose which side they want to twist over, and then just make sure they alternate their legs when we all (those in Saddle) twist to the other side?
admin
Site Admin

Which way to twist is the "right" way?

Post by admin »

Remember your intention! Why did you ask them to twist? What sensations were you trying to create for them? Knowing that, check to see if twisting one way works better or worse than the other way. For some people it does make a difference. For other people it does not. I would agree with your idea of leaving the responsibility in your students' hands: tell them what you want them to feel and then ask them to go find that sensation. They can try both sides and see which one works best, then stay there.

Cheers!
Bernie