nasal congestion during child's pose

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Tim_Mac

nasal congestion during child's pose

Post by Tim_Mac »

Hi
I tend to get nasal congestion during child's pose.. I rest my head on a bolster which helps a little.. since I cant get my butt to my heals my head is raised higher..

any suggestions?

thanks

Tim
Bernie

Nasal congestion

Post by Bernie »

Hi Tim

To reduce nasal congestion, maybe the first thing is to investigate the cause: I am not an expert in diet but too much dairy can cause phlegm to accumulate; post nasal drip can also be diet related. Try finding a diet that reduces or eliminates the nasal congestion. When you do have it, another option is neti to remove the buildup. You can practice neti before your asana practice. If you still have it when you are doing asana, then it may be practical to not let your head drop forward, so supporting your head on your hands or a bolster may be good, as you are already doing. But another approach is to seek out that congestion, because it will assist in moving the phlegm around. Inversions are often recommended as a way to reduce the congestion by turning everything upside down. (See this post on GaiamTV.) So, maybe we should not be trying to reduce the symptoms, but rather finding the cause, changing what needs to be changed and then work through the remaining congestion (neti or inversions) to reduce it.

Cheers
Bernie
Tim_Mac

Post by Tim_Mac »

Bernie. I will give the Neti pot a try

Thank you