Poses for runners

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
jqueen

Poses for runners

Post by jqueen »

I am a runner and would like to know if there are any poses specifically for runners that will strengthen/benefit the leg muscles in particular. As well, I am not able to bend myself forward as I believe my spine is too stiff through years of sitting/non-practice. Is there anything I can do to help elongate my spine? I am also not able to lift myself off the ground when trying to do the locust position... Is this due to a weak back? I apologize for the numerous questions. Thank you
Bernie

Yin Yoga for Runners

Post by Bernie »

Yin Yoga does not focus on strengthening the muscles (and this is a Yin Yoga forum): for that you will need to look at any of the several applicable yang yoga practices: standing poses like Warrior 1 and 2, Chair Pose, Goddess, lunges and Triangle can all help to strengthen the major muscles used in running. But most runners are seeking not greater strength, but enhanced length. Running can take its toll and tighten the hips and lower back as well as shortening the long leg muscles, contract the hip flexors and hip rotators. Yin Yoga can be very good at regaining lost range of motion in these areas. If you want to focus on mobilizing your hips, see the flow in YinSights for the hips. If you want to stretch out tight hamstrings and lengthen your spine, see the flow in YinSights for the spine. You can also find a video sequence for these in the playlists on my YouTube channel. If you feel your IT band is overly tight, try postures like Bananasana, or Reclining Twists such as Twisted Roots (these are explained in the Yin Asana tab to the left of this page.)

Regarding your question of lifting yourself off the ground in locust posture, it may be weaker muscles preventing your lift off: the best way to prepare for this pose is to do this pose. Just go slowly and work to lift just your chest of the floor for a few seconds at a time. Later, add the legs. Later add the arms. Don’t try for great height: go for strength and endurance not range of movement. Good luck.
jqueen

Post by jqueen »

Thank you Bernie for your response. Yes, I do realize that this is a Yin yoga forum and my apologies for phrasing my question incorrectly... what I meant to say was stretch muscles after running i.e. hamstrings, quads IT band etc. My question was which of the yin yoga poses would effectively stretch these muscles used for running. My focus is to prevent injury and loosen the tight muscles that I have over the years.
Bernie

Yin for runners

Post by Bernie »

Ah, that explains it. Hopefully you found your answers in my earlier post. Cheers!
Un-flexy wexy

Yoga for runners

Post by Un-flexy wexy »

My husband is a life long runner(over 40 years). Yin yoga is his favorite. He finds dragons, windshield wipers and Sphinx particularly helpful. He also uses toe pose and ankle pose on a regular basis. He finds that the increased foot and ankle mobility are very benificial to his running days.