Seeking Guidance

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Jordansiegel

Seeking Guidance

Post by Jordansiegel »

Thank you all for sharing your time with me reading my message, and opening your heart to provide me guidance. I truly appreciate it.

My name is Jordan Siegel, and I am going to publish below the email I wrote to Bernie this morning. I was unaware of the forum prior to sending the message, so I'm going to simply copy and paste. If you have the expertise and the ability to guide me, if you're open to it please let me know your thoughts!

Dear Bernie,

Thank you for giving me such a detailed and wonderful description of Yin Yoga via your site! I appreciate your contribution and your willingness and openness to share these practices with the world!

While most sites that specialize in Yang Style Yogas simply state basic tenets of connecting mind, body and soul, your site takes the Taoist Alchemical approach (which I have an affinity for), and breaks everything down to a science. This is why I love the Taoist teachings, because it is predicated in a systematic science and not generalities.

I am writing this email to you to gain your recommendation and guidance on your beliefs on what the most effective strategy to begin my venture down the Yin Yoga path is.

I will provide you with a brief background, so you may know my experience.

I currently am walking down the path of Lei Shan Dao in the lineage of David Verdesi. I am currently engaged in foundation training- 1. Xing Shen Gong to open up the physical body and the energy channels, 2. DA Song Zheng Fa to move the energy, build the energy and store it in my Dan tien, 3. Zhan Zhuang to use my storage of energy to reconstruct my nervous system and imprint this energy throughout my body. I recently began this training. Previously, I was practicing Qigong in the lineage of Wong Kiew Kit.

I am interested in Yin Yoga as a supplemental path that will enhance my current practice, and that will counter balance Yang Style Yoga.

My previous energy patterns were that of a closed heart- anxiety, depression, self absorbed, always looking to receive, 4 episodes of atrial fibrillation each for a period of only 12 hours. I currently take prescribed medication for both anxiety and atrial fibrillation. I have an achiever mind.

My body is extremely tight, as for years I worked out past my physical limits in weight lifting.

I have subscribed to myyogaonline.com as I saw it in your website.

My two questions for you are:

1. How do you recommend I begin my practice of Yin Yoga? Ex: your myyogaonline class videos, your sites instructions on building a personal practice, your sites three beginner flow sets, etc?

2. I also want to strengthen my body as well with Yang Style Yogas. As a complete beginner, how do you recommend I do this? Any styles you recommend based off of my energy patterns? Would it simply be implementing the Yin/Yang fusion via your site or your more yang sessions on myyogaonline, etc?

Thank you for your guidance!!!!!
Bernie

How to begin

Post by Bernie »

Hi Jordan

Welcome to the yin-side! Your questions are basically - “how to begin?” Given your background, you may find the teachings of Paulie Zink will resonate deeply with you. He was the one who taught the yin-side to Paul Grilley and is a master of the Daoist martial practices. He teaches the 5-element theory and how to use both yin and yang together and in balance. Check out his DVDs and website for more info.

If you want to start into the practice of Yin Yoga in the style as taught by Paul Grilley (and myself), watching some of the shorter videos on MyYogaOnline or on my YouTube channel is as good a place as any. There is also a chapter in my book on how to get started (and you can read the YinSights’ version too which is online here.) The three beginners flows are a good start, as you suggested. Basically, just do it -- no need to get too analytical before you begin: just begin … the first step ...

As to how to merge yin and yang: again - check out Paulie’s offering. Another idea: find a local yoga teacher and start a basic Hatha yoga practice, or if you aren’t close to a studio, there are several Hatha classes of mine offered on MyYogaOnline. Another, more advanced option, try my Fusion class or the Dragon Dance. Those are more advanced, so don’t start with them, but work towards them.

Good luck!
Bernie