Yin for the Summer Solstice

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
csynnottj

Yin for the Summer Solstice

Post by csynnottj »

Hi there,

I would like to know more about sequencing for the solstices, like seasonnal yoga. I read in Paul Grilley's book (p.31) that in the summer or warm days it's good to do a lot of forward fold as they are calming and sedating, and obviously do the opposite on cold days or winter I assume. So I guess it brings chi balance.
On the other hand, I read in Sarah Powers book that the summer is linked to the Heart and Small intestine meridians.
My question is, If I want to do a class with the Summer Solstice as a theme, should I do poses with the Heart & Small Intestine + forward fold in mind, or should I go with the opposite and do the meridians that goes with winter + forward fold to balance the chi?
Thank you,
Bernie

Summer and Yin: Tonic and Gin.

Post by Bernie »

Some things just go together: there are times when certain activities are just obviously right, and in the midst of summer’s heat and all its activities, it is balancing to cool off, chill, and get some Yin in. This is what Paul Grilley is referring to when he recommends, “A more yin practice might be appropriate in the evenings or on a warm day.” He also suggests that forward bends relax the heart, whereas back bends are more activating. Sarah Powers in her book Insight Yoga (page 20) also notes that Summer is associated with the element Fire, which has its home in the Heart. The Heart has a yin/yang relationship with the Small Intestines: these are upper body meridians, so to stimulate these channels you may want to do some Upper Body Yin Yoga practices.

But your question is - what should I do? In summer, when the Heart is naturally active, should I focus on more Heart work, or go in the opposite direction and work towards cooling the fire within? Good question: The answer, as always, is - it depends. Even though it is summer, your reaction and response to summer is unique: what do you need? If your Heart is weak, if there is no joy in life right now, then you may need to stoke that fire. On the other hand, if you are feeling manically happy and over-joyed at the long days and delicious warmth, maybe you do need to cool off a bit. Don’t look for a recipe that tells you that, given the date on the calendar, I must do these exercises. These are guidelines, not prescriptions. Figure out what you need, based on what’s happening right now.

Cathy Keenan, a Yin Yoga teacher and TCM practitioner, has written several articles on the 5 Elements and a Yin Yoga practice. Here is an excerpt from her article on Fire and Summer. You may find it helpful.

Cheers
Bernie

The heart sets our rhythm in life. When we are resistant to the movement of life we may experience feelings of emptiness and sadness. We can't have a raging continuous fire nor can we have a flame that is near extinction, we need the flickering movement of flames to allow us to respond appropriately to the demands of living. The fire energy inside sparks us to come alive, to be open and to feel abundance. This flame allows us to become conscious of ourselves and others, to express love and gratitude and to become awake in our lives. This tiny spark of divine love residing in our hearts is what radiates out into the world as the light of our individual awareness.

In our (yin) yoga practice this month try smiling from your heart. It is said to have profound physiological effects that help promote the flow of qi (energy) and blood in our bodies. Explore more back bends to help open the chest so that you can walk through life with an open heart that beams its bright light forward guiding you on your way. Notice thoughts, activities, people, food...and how they affect your hearts rhythm and make you feel. Stay focused on what you believe to be important in your life and in your practice. Try laughter yoga and notice how joy feels in your body. The next time you bring your hands to 'Namaste' in front of your heart, acknowledge that divine spark that exists in all beings and practice dedicating the merits of your practice to the well being of others. After all if our practice in life isn't about love, then what are we working towards?
csynnottj

Post by csynnottj »

Thank you Bernie for this answer and the link to Cathy Keenan, I didn't know her. I will read her articles for sure!

You are right : setting a practice based on the date of the calendar seems silly for a personnal practice, but I thought it could be a nice theme for a class. I never know what my students really need emotionnally, so is it pointless to even try to have meridians based themes during a class?

If I come back to a Summer Solstice theme class anyway, would you think that saying something like this could be a good idea :
" take child's pose for a few breaths (1 or 2 minutes I would count) , now if you need more cooling effect to balance the summer, continue to enjoy this pose, but if you do need the burning fire from the summer because you feel your heart is weak right now, and need an extra spark, go into Anahastasana for the remaining 2 - 2 1/2 minutes" .
That way, I could built a sequence with that theme, offering 2 poses at 2 or 3 different occasion, so that even in a group class someone could "customize" the sequence.

That brings me to something else...
I remember that you said that a difference between Yin Yoga and Restorative Yoga was that in Yin, we don't pretend to heal the body. We take a healthy body and try to improve the mobility and the strenght of the joints, yin tissues ... Can we say that this difference is true for the physical benefits of Yin, but not for the energetic, emotional and mental level as we try to balance the chi, and heal some troubles on an energetic level?

Thanks again, I really appreciate this forum as it gives us a chance to continue to pick your amazing brain! :)

Catherine
Bernie

Yin for the season

Post by Bernie »

Hi Catherine

As a theme for a Yin Yoga class, the summer and the solstice are both great: you have to teach to the class as a whole and the idea of using Yin Yoga to balance, or re-balance the yang energies of this time of year works really well. Some individuals may need something different, but that is where the challenge of offering options, tracks or levels comes in. Your suggested flow, with options, works - and you could add a few more forward bends along the way too, as Paul Grilley suggest: thinks of poses like Caterpillar or even (for Track 3 students) Snail pose that can ease the heart’s burdens.

Regarding Yin vs Restorative yoga, your point is valid: we can consider the restoration to occur on many levels: physical, energetic, emotional, mental and even spiritual. However, I would suggest that in each of these levels we may find students at different places: some may already be quite whole, hale and healthy energetically, emotional and mental, but want to enhance or maintain their well-being, while others may indeed be suffering from sub-optimal health in these areas and do need some restoration. My point about Yin vs Restorative is merely in intention. Remember, we can certainly call Restorative Yoga “Yin Yoga” because yin is simply a relative term, and relative to Hatha yoga or Power yoga, Restorative yoga is yin. But as a yogic style on its own, Yin Yoga (as taught by Paul and Sarah Powers) is not geared towards people who are trying to recover from specific damage to their body (or hearts and minds) but rather for those who are already well. But let’s not get too hung up on any of this - feel free to offer some Yin Yoga even to those who are broken in whatever way: just adjust the intensity and selection of postures to fit that student and her/his unique needs.

Cheers, Bernie
Ckeenan

Yin for the Season

Post by Ckeenan »

Hello Catherine,

As always Bernie has answered your question so eloquently. I love to teach the 5 elements in my yin yoga classes. Chinese medicine is not complicated but it is complex. Each person is treated based on their presenting patterns, so it can get confusing quickly.

I love to explore the energetics of the season when I teach. I try and keep it fairly basic to spark curiosity in my students and allow them to recognize how intimately connected we are to our environment and wheat happens when we (or the environment) becomes imbalanced.

As far as sequences for the summer go I tend to focus on the heart and small intestine meridians (so more upper body openings) and add in the Kidney meridian as this is the water element and helps to keep the fire in the Heart balanced. You could also try sharing a few postures that cool the energies of the Heart (as you mentioned fwd bends) and a few that ignite the energies of the Heart (backbends) and encourage them to feel how these postures resonate in their bodies and if they are drawn to a particular direction. Just a thought.

Conditions from the Heart are often reflected in our speech so you could add chanting, affirmations, mantras...to keep Heart calm and steady.

This is from one of my favorite books on Chinese Medicine and nutrition by Paul Pitchford called "Healing with Whole Foods"
'To unify with summer, a yang season we should express the yang principal - expansion, growth, lightness, outward activity, brightness, and creativity. Summer is a period of luxurious growth. To be in harmony with the atmosphere of summer, awaken early in the morning and reach for the sun for nourishment to flourish as the gardens do. Work, play, travel, be joyous,and grow into selfless service. The bounty of the outside world enters and enlivens us.'

I hope this helps. There is so much to explore so have fun! Happy summer!
Cathy
:)
csynnottj

Post by csynnottj »

Thank you so much Bernie and Cathy for these informations and related books/articles that I can read and refer to.
It is very appreciated!
Happy summer,

Catherine