A question abt. hips/addictor muscles and what I am feeling

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Donna

A question abt. hips/addictor muscles and what I am feeling

Post by Donna »

Hi Bernie, thanks for your input here, I will try to best describe what I am feeling in my stretch, and would value your thoughts. I have been working allot trying to open up my hips, and have had allot of progress, but perhaps this is more of an anatomy question, but here goes. When I do butterfly when the knees drop out, the left side feels like there is a tightness in the very upper adductor or perhaps the medial quad insert area. Or when I am in bed and my left lef in tree, it is almost like it wont relent, there is a tightness that does not want to let go. Sometimes I think I have it and I will add pressure and sometimes it will let go a little more, but it is very illusive and stubborn. I also sense it in fire log pose. When the L knee drops over the R foot, it actuallt feels good and I find myself wishing it could drop beyond that point. Almost like I wish someone would come along and pull my leg to lengthen it?? Does that make sense? Any thoughts anatomically what it might be? When I do dragon, it feels good, but doesn't get quite to the inner thigh/groin stretch I need.

Thanks as always Bernie!
Bernie

Going deeper

Post by Bernie »

Hi Donna

May I ask - do you have a teacher you work with? I sense that many of the questions you have been asking would be answered quite quickly and more succinctly by having a teacher watch what you are doing and asking you where you feel the effects of each position. It is difficult to do this via the internet. It sounds to me (but I am not there watching you) that you are creating tension along the adductors, and over time this will release and stretch out. Eventually you will reach compression deeper in the hip socket. On the other hand, maybe the tightness you are experiencing is due to something else, like adhesions or scar tissue? A physiotherapist or massage therapist who can move you and palpate the area might be able to differentiate what is causing the tightness you are experiencing.

Let me ask you about one statement you made, however: "but [it] doesn't get quite to the inner thigh/groin stretch I need”. What makes you think you “need” that stretch or that extra range of motion? What is your intention? It is possible that you have already reached a limit of what you can achieve and questioning your drive to go further may be more instructive.

Again, I can’t say what is stopping you - nor whether going further is a good idea. You will have to discover this, but having a real live teacher to work with will help a lot.

Good luck
Bernie