Foot placement and Dragon pose

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Donna

Foot placement and Dragon pose

Post by Donna »

I was wondering if when in dragon pose that foot placement can effect anything in a bad way. I noticed as I got on the floor to get into the pose, in regards to the leg that is bent in front, if I turn my toes to the outside a bit, it seems to help me to feel the stretch a little more in the area that I feel tightness. As well as walking the foot out further just a little for a wider stance (heel-toe)? I have had a hard time isolating the area or to be quite honest even identifying the muscle(s) that need attention? I feel as though it is one of the adductors, but it is a little closer to the top of the thigh/hip flexr area? But as I said, when in dragon pose if I turn the toes out a little, I feel it a little deeper and even a little more if I let the knee drop out a little. Just wanted to make sure I don't do anything bad.

Thanks for advice, blessings!
Bernie

Human Variations

Post by Bernie »

Hi Donna - welcome to the kula.

Your question is an important one because it highlights the fact that most people are unaware just how unique they are, and most yoga teacher training programs operate under the unstated assumption that everyone is exactly the same. You are asking "where should my foot be in Dragon pose?" and the answer is "who knows?" Since every body is different, what is the "right" position for you is not necessarily the right position for someone else, and vice versa.

There is really only one way to answer your question and that is to find out what is the right position for YOU. And that depends upon your intention. You actually have already answered your own question: if your intention is to feel a stress in the area "a little closer to the top of the thigh/hip flexr " then moving your foot as you described is perfect for you.

Unfortunately, and often, in yoga our teachers create a sense of fear when they make dogmatic assertions that there is only one right way to position your body in a pose: the fear being that you may hurt yourself. You mentioned that you "Just wanted to make sure I don't do anything bad" but there is better way to know if you are in danger than worrying about where your foot is, and that is to pay attention to sensations. If you experience pain, you are not where you need to be. But if you are not in pain and don't feel any pain in the next 24 hours or so, there is very little chance you were risking any damage.

This topic is the subject of an ongoing series of articles that I have been writing recently in the YinSights Newsletters called "Your Body/Your Yoga - Dispelling the Myths of Alignment." You may want to subscribe to the Newsletters to learn more.

Cheers
Bernie