Yin energy in the winter

Please use this forum to ask any questions you may have about yoga in general or Yin Yoga in particular, or to discuss anything you have discovered that may be of general interest. Note, spam will be removed and the user deleted, and this includes putting website in your posting that are purely commercial.
Deborrah

Yin energy in the winter

Post by Deborrah »

Tonight I read a great article entitled "Winter Wonder Yin" (http://www.yogajournal.com/health/101?u ... ent=button) which I subsequently shared with my class. In the article an acupuncturist explains why the final month of the year, an inherently yin season, is not the time to indulge in yang activities like shopping, partying, and staying up late. Winter, the yin season, is a time for storing and conserving energy in the way a bear retains fat by hibernating, or a farmer stores food for the cold months ahead. After class one of my students asked an interesting question that I was not able to answer. She wondered if it may not be healthy for someone who lives in a cold Yin climate (ie Canada) to take a winter vacation in a warmer Yang destination (ie Mexico). Does it mess up the body's natural rhythms? Has anyone read anything to this effect?
Bernie

Balancing Yin with Yang

Post by Bernie »

I haven't read about the effects energetically of snowbirds who vacation in a yang climate while back home it is yin-time. I do know, however, of folks who take a vacation and come back exhausted from their "time off"! They need a vacation from their vacation. Balance is the key.

Winter is a yin time of year and naturally things slow down, however if things get too yin-like, some yang is necessary for balance. In the article, the author speaks of drinking yang drinks and eating warming foods: that is using yang to balance yin, so why not also allow some yang asana practice? When it is 20 below and dark all day, you don't need yin yoga! You need to move. When it is the middle of August, sweltering hot out, you don't need Bikram's yoga! That is the time for Yin - and mid winter is a good time for yang.

Find the middle way to restore balance: when things are really yin, add some yang. When things are really yang, add some yin.

Cheers
Bernie