Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yin energy in the winter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> General Yin Yoga Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deborrah

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Yin energy in the winter Reply with quote

Tonight I read a great article entitled "Winter Wonder Yin" (http://www.yogajournal.com/health/101?utm_source=MyYogaJournal&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=082013NEW&utm_content=button) which I subsequently shared with my class. In the article an acupuncturist explains why the final month of the year, an inherently yin season, is not the time to indulge in yang activities like shopping, partying, and staying up late. Winter, the yin season, is a time for storing and conserving energy in the way a bear retains fat by hibernating, or a farmer stores food for the cold months ahead. After class one of my students asked an interesting question that I was not able to answer. She wondered if it may not be healthy for someone who lives in a cold Yin climate (ie Canada) to take a winter vacation in a warmer Yang destination (ie Mexico). Does it mess up the body's natural rhythms? Has anyone read anything to this effect?
Bernie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Balancing Yin with Yang Reply with quote

I haven't read about the effects energetically of snowbirds who vacation in a yang climate while back home it is yin-time. I do know, however, of folks who take a vacation and come back exhausted from their "time off"! They need a vacation from their vacation. Balance is the key.

Winter is a yin time of year and naturally things slow down, however if things get too yin-like, some yang is necessary for balance. In the article, the author speaks of drinking yang drinks and eating warming foods: that is using yang to balance yin, so why not also allow some yang asana practice? When it is 20 below and dark all day, you don't need yin yoga! You need to move. When it is the middle of August, sweltering hot out, you don't need Bikram's yoga! That is the time for Yin - and mid winter is a good time for yang.

Find the middle way to restore balance: when things are really yin, add some yang. When things are really yang, add some yin.

Cheers
Bernie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> General Yin Yoga Topics All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: