Saddle Pose

Check this forum for suggestions on Yin Yoga flows, sequences and postures, as well as HOW to practice Yin Yoga.
Nick

Saddle Pose

Post by Nick »

I really struggle with Saddle Pose and Half Saddle Pose (due to stress on my knees and feet). Does anyone have any suggestions for modifications and/or variations? Also, any suggestions for alternative poses and preparatory poses? I don't have a lot of props for my home practice (just a few blocks and a strap; no bolsters). I also have some blankets and towels, but not enough to really use in place of a bolster. Is there a way I can progress in this pose without bolsters? I'd be grateful for any feedback.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'd also be interested in any sequences you'd recommend to help progress in Saddle Pose.
Bernie

Saddle Explained

Post by Bernie »

Hi Nick ... first, have you seen the Saddle Explained YouTube video on the YinYoga Channel on YouTube? That may answer a lot of your questions.

Secondly: let's examine your intentions - why do you want to do Saddle? Is it to work the top of your things (quads and hip flexors)? If so, the Dragons or Swan can also work those areas. Is it to get a deep backbend? If so Sphinx and Seal can also do that. Is it to work the ankles and knees? If so Ankle Stretch might also work for you. As you can see - there are lots of ways to work the body so if one pose just doesn't work for you, try some others. What is great about Saddle is - it works all these areas at once!

Finally: one reason many people find this a difficult pose to get into is because they can not internally rotate their femurs very well. This prevents them from going from sitting on the heels to lying back, because as they descend, the femur starts to press against the ilium of the pelvis or the hip socket. If that is happening to you, you can try starting lying down in a windshield wiper variation: lying down, knees bent, feet apart, drop both knees to one side (say the right to start), then pull the closest heel to your buttock (in this case the left heel to the left hip) and stay on your back. This is a half-saddle variation that may be more accessible to you than the other way of coming into the pose.

You will find other options in the video.
Hope this helps!
Bernie
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi Bernie,

Thank you for your feedback. I saw your Saddle Explained video right after I posted my comment. I've been practicing with Paul's DVD and had gotten frustrated with Saddle and Half Saddle in his Spine Series, which I really enjoyed up to that point. I will experiment with the alternative poses and the Half Saddle variation per your recommendation. Is there an image or video of this variation somewhere? I just want to make sure I have it correct before I start practicing it. I apologize if I missed it in one of your videos.

Best,

--Nick
Bernie

Reclining Windshield Wipers

Post by Bernie »

I can't find any good example pictures. This one is close:

Imagine now taking that top knee/foot and pulling it back behind you so that the foot is close to the buttock and both knees come to the floor, but the knees are far apart. Then, roll onto your back and viola! Half Saddle. Some people point their foot to the side, others can point the toes to the ears! Be where it is comfortable for the ankle and the knee.

Good luck.

Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks. I think I got it. Is it like this? Sort of like a Half Saddle starting on your side with a spinal twist (back moving toward floor) and both knees bent heading in the same direction?

Bernie

Reclining Windshield Wipers

Post by Bernie »

Yes, that looks like it. For very flexible students the held leg could have its knee further pulled away. For less flexible students, if that knee is "floating" you can weigh it down by resting the other foot upon it. Again, the idea is to feel this - somewhere along the top of the thigh and a little bit to the lower back. You can make it even more intense by clasping your elbows over your head, as long as you get no tingling in the fingers.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Great. Thanks for all of your feedback. My knee does float a little, so I'm going to try resting the other foot on it. By clasping the elbows over the head, do you mean releasing the held foot and stretching both arms overhead with hands holding opposing elbows/upper arms to deepen the stretch in the back and the leg?
martyg

Post by martyg »

I use a bolster and blanket combo in order to experience the saddle pose. Yoga accessories are cheap but I think they are well worth the money. I just purchased some recently and it has fundamentally improved the quality and number of poses I can enjoy.

I end up looking something like this when I layout the bolster and blanket: http://yogadrops.files.wordpress.com/20 ... mage11.jpg. When I first started I would have to even stack a few extra blankets on the bolster to get into position.

Price was a concern for (probably is for most people), so I ended up ordering from the yoga warehouse. They have remarkably high quality stuff for the price.