Welcome to the Yin Yoga Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which type of yoga is best for lower back issues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga and Spine Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isabel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Which type of yoga is best for lower back issues? Reply with quote

Hi Bernie,

I have two students who have had back injuries from a long time ago (5-10 years). They both need to take it easy in stronger hip openers like dragon and swan (I normally get them to do these on their back) otherwise they experience tingling without the modification. I think they both have tightness in there lower back, glute and leg area.

One of them asked me which style of yoga might be best for this issue in the lower back other day and I was unsure.

I think any type of yoga would help, what do you think? Confused

Thank you!
Issie
Bernie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Issie

Before you or I can answer your students' questions we have to know their intentions. They are asking "what type of yoga is best" to which I would answer with another question "best to do what?" Are they seeking greater mobility in their spine, or better stability? Are they trying to get out of pain, or simply to avoid future pain? Are they functional in daily life, and in any sports they like to do, or at work? And, finally, what does their doctor/PT recommend?

Tightness in the lower back can have many causes and may even be protective and thus not something to be gotten rid of, at least not until the underly reason for it has been dealt with. My own personal philosophy regarding the spine is to first develop stability and then work on mobility. Stability usually involves strong core muscles (not just stomach muscles!) and yang forms of exercises are great for this. Once stability is achieved, then maybe some Yin Yoga will help improve flexibility. Mobility is more than just flexibility, however, and includes coordination and proprioception. Endurance is another factor to consider, which includes the endurance of their back muscles, but also overall endurance (the heart etc.) This comes from other yang forms of exercises. But, what are they really seeking?

Once we know their intentions we can begin to narrow in on what type of yoga or exercises will help them achieve those goals.

Cheers
Bernie
isabel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you Bernie!

That's a great help and something I will definitely consider more when teaching will general injuries.

I really appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Issie Very Happy
DonaldMDy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie is right, I think it depends on the person and what they wish to solve in terms of their back issues. Just listen to your body is what I say.

Did a quick google search for yoga for back pain, here's one post that might be helpful: http://ergonomictrends.com/beginner-yoga-poses-relieve-back-pain-strengthen-back/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    YinYoga.com Forum Index -> Yin Yoga and Spine Issues All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: